Tagging & Diigo

 For this week's class, I read an article from Professor Dennen & Tami Im (2013) that talks about how tags and links in Diigo can support learning. Before this class and even right now, I have never heard of Diigo. However, after reading the article, I want to go explore this new tool. As a student, I always have multiple tabs open to research articles so I can place them in my papers and not forget where I found them. With Diigo, it allows you to bookmark the Website and come back to it at another date or time. 


The article's authors explain that this tool can also be used to help in school. Groups can share websites among its members or class using Diigo. Instead of printing articles out for everyone in the class, the teacher could maybe share the article on Diigo for the class so they can read and annotate as they follow along. 

Using this bookmarking tool in school, I believe, can help students when it comes to projects. They can pull up their articles or websites anytime, whether they are at school or home. They can share the information with classmates. Lastly, the students do not have to worry about losing articles or group information in their backpacks, which I don't know about you, but that it is common in middle school. 

While the case study used an online graduate level setting, and the authors said it could in face-to-face settings, I am wondering if it can be used in the middle or even elementary school levels. I will definitely be exploring more about Diigo and maybe even recommending to my teachers at the school I work with. 

  

                                     

References

Im, T. & Dennen, V. P. (2013). Building a collaborative knowledge base in Diigo: How links, tags, and

comments support learning. In T. Bastiens, & G. Marks (Eds.), Proceedings of the World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (ELEARN) (pp. 794-797). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.

Comments

  1. Hi Lauren, Before completing this course, I was unfamiliar with this social bookmarking tool. This week, I finished the class challenge and agree that it can be a helpful social media platform for professionals and academia. If I were still teaching elementary school, I would create a group among the teachers in my grade to share learning activity suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I was still a teacher, I would do the same thing. However, I might do this as a way to share information with my co-counselor as we are moving to separate buildings next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media: Good or Bad?

Week 3 Reflection~ Put the Phone Down!!

Am I In Over My Head?