Week 3 Reflection~ Put the Phone Down!!

 Tonight, my parents and I went out to eat for dinner which is a rare occasion. Usually, we just bring food home to eat. While my parents were getting their food, I was on my phone playing a new game that has me hooked. When they came back, I put my phone down until my mom asked me "When do the Cubs play?" I then grabbed my phone to look at the game time. Even though, I gave her the answer, I continued scrolling on my phone through social media, back to my game, checking the news, etc. I didn't realize until I got home, how much time I actually spent on my phone while I was at dinner. You might say "Lauren, it's normal for people to be on their phones all the time?" This is true. I think social media and game developers have created apps and games to make it addicting for the user to get off the phone. 

While on the phone during dinner, I was thinking that I was going to miss the next big thing. Am I going to miss my baseball scores or the next big top news story? However, I am missing so much more. I am missing meaningful conversations with my parents. When I got home, I realized that there will be one day when my parents will no longer be here, so I need to live in the present. To me that means putting my phone down and having real in-person conversations. 

This week, we learned about communities and networks. While people think communities are found online on social media, my community was right in front of me. I need to develop my in-person communities in case technology ever goes down and we are forced to communicate with one another in person. 

Starting next week, I am going to start putting the phone down during mealtimes so I can live in the moment and improve these relationships/communities. I challenge you to also put the phone down and see if you can do it. You might find that you actually like it and may be better for your mental health. 



Comments

  1. I struggle with this all the time! I get into the zombie scroll and have the hardest time pulling away. It's particularly difficult when you're around family and friends- you have to be even more intentional about getting off the phone and engaging with those who are physically with you. I'm going to join you and try to put my phone down more during this week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Sometimes, I feel like my life is on my phone, but I am realizing that it is not.

      Delete
  2. I love that you are challenging yourself to put your phone away during meals. We do the same at our house! And while I agree that the mindless scrolling can separate you from what's in front of you, I don't think it's directly caused by social media or cell phones (although they definitely don't help). Several times, I have been so consumed by a book or a TV show that I completely shut out the environment around me. We have access to so many things - on and offline - that it can be difficult to be fully present in any situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right? Sometimes it's just too easy. We have gotten used to saying "let me just check" or "I'll look that up" -- but I know we survived just fine before we were able to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this great reminder! I have really been working on this right now as my kids are home for the summer. I justify my phone use sometimes because everything is on there. Canvas for the classes I take, Canvas for the classes I teach, Teams for job #1, Zoom for job #2, email for all of the above, budgeting apps, grocery apps, kid apps, texting, camera, etc. It feels like I can never get away from my phone. However, lately I have just been trying to leave my phone in the other room and live in the moment with my kids. It feels way harder than it needs to be, but I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media: Good or Bad?

Am I In Over My Head?