For the Love of Concept Maps

 How do you best learn? For me, it is more kinesthetic learning, but I can do visual. However, with visual learning, I need to see how every concept is connected in a way. Growing up, I was a big concept maps person, especially in history class. I would put a historical event down then have it connected to significant events and people. This allowed me to remember the events more effectively. I used to have to write concept maps down on paper. However, this week, Dr. Dennen introduced us to online concept maps. This has made my visual and organized heart happy!

With online concept maps, you can still arrange the map however you want, just like you would on paper. One major thing I like about the online version is that there is less mess. With the paper concept maps, you would draw them out then have to figure out which binder to put them in. However, with the online version, you can download the map directly to your computer. The online version also allows you to share your map with other people so they can collaborate with you on the same topic. This is another great tool for group projects or presentations. 

There are a few online concept maps programs out there, however I do not like one over the other. I believe it just depends on the author of the map and their comfortability. However, I do like that this is another great tool to add to a teacher's or student's toolbox. 

Comments

  1. My problem with paper concept maps is that I could never fit it on the paper! I'd start too big or not plan out the spacing appropriately. I love the online version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way so you are not alone!

      Delete
    2. Agreed, the online is amazing!! I had so much fun with the brain mapping this week- I wrote about the experience in my blog too. Such a wonderful way to get everything in my brain out onto "paper".

      Delete
  2. Have you tried collaborative concept mapping? That' really brings it to a new level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not but I am interested in learning more and trying.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media: Good or Bad?

Week 3 Reflection~ Put the Phone Down!!

Am I In Over My Head?