RSS: Where Have You Been All My Life?

 I am 32 years old and today is the day, I truly realized what RSS readers are supposed to do. I have seen the symbol before, but I never knew what it was for or what the purpose was. I love that through RSS readers, I can now access everyone's blogs. Sometimes it can be a pain to do a million steps in order to achieve your end goal. You have to go to Professor Dennen's class blog then choose the blog you want to read. However, through RSS, you can subscribe to all the blogs. Not just the most recent ones but all the ones a person has ever written. Finding out about RSS readers makes me think about how teachers can use them in the classroom or how I, as a school counselor, can use it. I might be able to use these readers to subscribe to news and research about counseling topics. This would allow me to stay up to date so I can effectively help my students. 

When did you discover RSS readers? Have you known about them for a few years or are you like me and just found out about them. I am going to go explore RSS a bit more. Until next time :)






Comments

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I was unaware of RSS, as well. I will fully admit that I am not Web 2.0 tool savvy. Outside of Facebook and Instagram, where I rarely post or share anything, I have followed very few blogs, and I agree that this is a helpful tool. From an instructional designer perspective, I can follow content from others with specific workplace recommendations associated with the public sector and government. It can also permit me to develop my project management skills further by reading the lessons learned from others in their blogs, which is my second professional passion and interest, next to education. One of the tool's most beneficial features is that it allows finding all blogs of interest in one location. Research shows that the more manageable the use, the more individuals will utilize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Candace, I am excited to use this tool not only to follow all the blogs, but I can also follow all my news sites instead of going to the individual sites.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for meeting RSS. You are correct, you can use RSS to subscribe to all manner of online information. It’s truly an underused technology these days. It was much bigger in the mid/late 2000s (when blogging was a more active art form, too). I think I started using RSS in 2004, and while the tools that I use have been phased out repeatedly (bloglines, google reader, etc.) the technology persists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,
    I was today years old when I finally found out about RSS readers as well, and it is much more convenient than looking for the blogs in the course blog first. I have found myself to be particularly interested in particular blogs due to the manner of writing, presentation, and topic. Using this method of accessing them is very helpful when I want to find out what is being shared on the blogs this week.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media: Good or Bad?

Week 3 Reflection~ Put the Phone Down!!

Am I In Over My Head?