Last Day of School

 Tomorrow is the last day of school for my kiddos. While I should be happy that I am getting a break, I find myself worrying about what they will be doing over the summer break. Some will do summer school, go on trips, or isolate themselves in their room all day on their phones. Gone are the days where you went outside during the summer and played with friends until it was dark. Now it is all about scrolling through social media or playing the next Call of Duty or more popular video game. Even summer school in my district is all digital and from home. 

Now don't get me wrong, technology is important and can be beneficial. However, it can lead to addictions for others. In 2022, almost all teenagers had access to a phone (Vogels et al., 2022). If you were to ask a teen to give up their phone or social media for a day, they would probably look at you like you were crazy. However, would they give it up for 30 minutes to go play outside or do another activity around the house that does not include social media or technology. 

Towards the end of the school year, I believe that school counselors should provide a list of example resources and activities that students can do at home instead of playing on technology or social media all day. Counselors can also talk to the students about the dangers of using these modes all the time such as addiction. Students need to realize that if they become addicted to technology or social media, it may make it harder for them to focus on their schoolwork. 

To all the teachers and school staff, we made it!! To all my students or any students reading this, spend some time this summer doing something other than social media or on technology. 



References

Vogels, E. A., Gelles-Watnick, R., & Massarat, N. (2022, August 10). Teens, social media and technology 2022. Pew Research Center. https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2022/08/10/teens-social-media-and-technology-2022/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media: Good or Bad?

Week 3 Reflection~ Put the Phone Down!!

Am I In Over My Head?