Flickr, Wikipedia, and More Tools

 As the weeks continue, we learn more about various social media and technology tools. This week, we learned about Wikipedia, Flickr, and more. Before this week, I have used Wikipedia just like most Americans. However, there is so much more than just Wikipedia. Users can scroll to the bottom of Wikipedia's home page to see other sister projects there are. One that I explored with Wikiversity which allows participants to learn with thousands of resources in arts, math, social sciences, etc. People can even take active courses in math, humanities, or more if they want or have free time. WikiBooks allows people access to thousands of books. These books are categorized by beginner, immediate, advanced, or even professional levels. One aspect of WikiBooks that I thought was cool is that they have cookbooks. Some people are always looking for new recipes so this would be perfect for them. 

While some teachers and school districts are leery of Wikipedia because it uses volunteer editors, it may still be beneficial for students. I think students should be able to use this source for information on school projects as long as they can back up the information with another source. 

 Another tool this week was Flickr. To be honest I have never used Flickr but was interested in trying the challenge for this week. Flickr can be a great tool for students to use if they need to store photos for school projects or if they are creating the school yearbook. My photoessay challenge represents my life as of lately. The first photo represents reading the class blog to catch up on the news and ensure I am not missing anything important. The next picture represents my Canvas homepage. I sometimes feel like I live on this homepage as I am constantly figuring out what is due and what work I need to complete. The last picture represents a blank canvas and trying to figure out what my next blog post will be. It has been fun learning about these different tools and trying to figure out how I can use it in my school next year. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media: Good or Bad?

Week 3 Reflection~ Put the Phone Down!!

Am I In Over My Head?